Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dayton




It's me again,
Yesterday was oh so exciting! We're in Dayton NV. On Tues. we stopped to see my step mom. The plan was to have lunch and visit with her and my niece for a couple hrs. then be on the road on Weds. morning. That's the beauty of our trip.

Marion[D's mom] was trying to get some last minute stuff to us, that we'd forgotten at home. The plan was to go to Virgina City for a few hrs. look around, buy stuff and take off for Death Valley and parts south. Some how stuff happens for a reason.

We decided to stay the extra day so a package could catch up with us. We went to Virgina City and had a great time. We bought lots of stuff, saw some beautiful scenery and met some wonderful people. We went a train ride [I had taken D on when he was 3yrs]. It was a great day.

For those of you who have never been there, Virgina City was built on the side of mountains during the gold rush of the 1850s. Streets are very steep. We are in a 33ft. motor home. [Steep and 33ft. motor home should never be said in the same sentence]. I'm trying to leave town and my trusty GPS is telling me to turn right at this street and that. I'm telling D they're to steep. I finally get tired of hearing "turn right at so and so", so I turn right. If only my 33 ft. were 29 ft. I would have had it made. The last 4ft. of the mohome got very stuck in the road of the main st. of town. Like there was no going back or forward. We just sort of sat there for almost 2hrs. while they tried to get a very large tow truck to get us out. We were so stuck that the compartment on the driver's side was touching the pavement. It was really sorta cool.
Poor B was upset at first. But I told him It Was An Adventure and he started to lighten up. D was all about the man thing. He's crawling around taking picts. talking to the cop. [Who was very nice,by the way.] I guess this was our 15 mins. of fame, that turned into 2 hrs. People were taking picts. with cameras, cellphones and I think I even saw a couple drawing on sketch pads.

The merchants were great too. One young woman from the coin and cigar shop, came down gave me a big old hug, told me how sorry she was and if we needed anything to just tell her. I told her we were fine, we had lots of water, food and a bathroom so everything was fine. I made sure she knew that everything was fine. I didn't hit any one the boys and I wasn't hurt, so everything was good. It was a great adventure.

Once out of town we went back to my step mom's house to pick up the package from home. We stayed and visited for awhile. Left came back to camp ground before the nite. We got to meet the manager of the campground and her husband. They are great people. We all went for a walk and just enjoyed their company.

I'm a firm believer in "things happen for a reason". If we hadn't stayed for the package we wouldn't have met our managers. SEE, IT'S ALL GOOD.

Today we head for Bishop and Death Valley.

Talk to you all soon.
Jan

1 comment:

Imstell said...

Only you. You could have at least pretended the newly licensed 18 year old was driving. ;-)