Saturday, August 16, 2008

Home 08/16/08








Hi all,it's me.
I guess I haven't done a complete job of reporting on our trip.
I just got a phone call from my mom.She didn't suggest she told me I had to tell you about the Flag Ceremony that Derek had at the reunion.
Here's a little history of the flag.It's really nothing special. It flew over my yard for a couple years.When I bought a new flag for the yard ,because that one was starting to look sort of ratty,Derek grabbed it because I was going to just throw it in the trash.He said you're not supposed to do that.An American flag should be burned in an open fire.He took my old flag and folded it and put it in the mohome to be burned over on the coast in a bon fire on the beach on the 4th. of July. That was 4 or 5 years ago.
While we were on the trip he found the flag in the cupboard and decided he wanted to have a flag ceremony at the reunion.
The last afternoon in the campground Derek told Brad he wished he had a trumpet player for the ceremony, a short time later he heard someone playing a trumpet,in the campground.He was able to find the boy that had been practicing.I don't know his name but he was only 14years old and only been playing the trumpet for about 6 months.But you would never guess that. He was great.
Derek and Brad unfurled the flag and put it in the fire while the trumpeter played taps.
There wasn't a dry eye in the group.
All the boys did a great job, and I'm very proud of all of them.
That's the story of the flag.I think I have a couple pics. I'm going to try to find them.
That's it for now.
Take care.
Jan




No comments: