Sunday, July 6, 2008

Gallop,New Mexico 7/5/08











Hi All;




It's us again.
We're in Gallop,New Mexico. What a beautiful place.This was another of our last min. decisions. We were tired and hungry and Gallop came up on the DREADED Garmin.
Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself.We started out from Mesa,AZ yesterday morning around 8am.headed north to PETRIFIED FOREST.We did our reg. stops. Wally World,for food and other stuff.Now we're headed north and maybe some cooler weather.It was a great day to travel. The weather was indeed cooler and the sky was clear. You see we've had lighting storms and rain every day since last Sat.They keep telling me it never rains in the dessert.SURE!Anyway it's beautiful and the boys are getting along great.The country north is sooo pretty. It's almost like being in the mountains around Redding.Only way higher.
We were very impressed with the scenery between Mesa and Petrified Forest.Petrified Forest is a National Pk.So nothing can be removed from the pk.Sure ,I have the biggest rock collector in the world with me. B has deeper pockets then anyone I know. He was told not to even think about touching or picking up a rock,twig,or dirt.He did very well I might add.
The Rangers asked us at the main gate going in if we had ANY ROCKS.I jokingly said a ton.She sort of turned a pale color.Then I said we had reciets for all of our rocks. Well maybe most of them ,or some of them.
We found out that it does pay to take petrified wood from the pk.A our first stop the ranger had a young man in hand cuffs. His girlfriend was crying.The ranger searched their car a came up with one piece of wood about 6in.across and 2ft. long. This is not good.
After holding them up for at least an hr.and half he let them go with a $3500.00 fine.It was a great incentive to B not to touch the rocks.
The Petrified Forest is MUCH MORE BEAUTIFUL then the picts. can show.I figured a couple of hrs. in the pk. and on our way. It was very hard to get the boys back in the mohome to travel on. We were in the pk. for about 5 hrs.By the time we got out of there it was getting late and another storm was coming in.Thus the trip to N.M.We stopped for gas on the Indian Reservation. They had FIREWORKS in the store. The boys could live in there.D bought a few exploding things and seemed pretty happy. Then we followed the Garmin to the camp ground. It took us the opposite direction. We called the camp ground again and finally got here.I was very cranky and the boys were all jacked up because of fire works.They got worse after they talked to uncle Mike." Bring me home some m80's and any thing that makes alot of noise"
As hot as it's been on this trip I have visions of going down the road and my compartments exploding.Oh well we'll see.
So this morning before we can get on the road we will spend at least an hr or so in the boom boom store.
Well that's about all for today. Maybe next time we'll be around Grand Canyon.

Take care.
Jan

1 comment:

Imstell said...

Ha! I think the whole world may just have to turn into a National Park when Ben gets home. I am so sick of rocks in my washing machine!!! ;-) Don't buy too much in the Boom Boom store.